This post will really hit on a few important areas in your online business; online presence, social presence, and traffic. We will cover the basics needed to get started and how to implement the most effective methods to produce the greatest results.
Let’s start with the three cornerstone ingredients for marketing your online business.
I call it the Online Marketing Trinity, which I derived from the “Holy Trinity” in Cajun and Creole cooking. The Holy Trinity consists of onions, bell peppers, and celery. The Online Marketing Trinity consists of:
Online Marketing Trinity
- Content Marketing- Great content that is informative and helpful, on a topic or niche that you are passionate about. In our business, everything starts with great content… always. My best advice here would be to give that great content away for free. It will benefit you most in the long run… you’ll see why.
- Attraction Marketing- By creating great content that educates your readers and solves their problems, they will want to read more of your content, share your content, and will want to find out more about you and what you do. (note: an opt-in form for your newsletter is a great way for your readers to get more of your content in an organized manner)
- Relationship Marketing- The best way to create business relationships is through engagement. Engagement through your newsletter, comment boxes, and social media are the main ways to converse with your readers. Social media sites like Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Linkedin, and Google+, all linking back to your blog, are probably the most effective ways to engage your readers and create that relationship.
So, we have the Online Marketing Trinity defined, now let’s get clear on what you are going to use your blog for and what your strategy with social media should be.
Your Blog: The Basics
Your blog should have these basic elements covered for success:
- Great content that informs and solves problems
- An opt-in form or a link to a landing page opt-in form (we will go deeper into this at a later date, we are just covering the basics for now)
- An “About Me” page- Tell your readers about yourself and why you got started in your online business.
- Share buttons- If your content is good, your readers will share your content to their friends and followers through the share buttons on your website. Make it easy for them to share it… these plugins will help do the trick- Digg Digg, and Sexy Bookmarks Social Sharing is very powerful and we want to encourage it as much as we can.
- Easy to find Comment Section– I read a lot of blogs and it amazes me how difficult it is to find the comment section in some of them. Many times I have wanted to leave a comment on a great post and I simply can’t find the comment box, so I leave. Don’t let this be you. If the comment section in your blog theme is hard to find, change the theme. There are thousands of great free blog themes available… no excuses 😉 If someone takes the time to read your content and wants to comment on it, make it easy for them to do so… comments are precious and should be treated as such.
That’s the basics needed to start a business blog. Add other features after you have this covered. To put your WordPress blog on steroids and learn about all the best plugins, go check out Kim Castleberry’s awesome blog at http://just-ask-kim.com
Your blog is the home for your great content, the place where people can find out more about you, and the place where they can find out how to work with you. In the next post, I’ll talk about how to use social media to bring traffic to your blog. Until then…
All the best,
p.s. I would love for you to share this post if you find it informative and helpful many thanks!